Home  |  Rarities  |  #askNat  |  Interviews  |  Search Beatles Database  |  About  |  Contact  |  Archives  |  Links

Beatles Rarity of the Week – “Hold On (I’m Coming)” (John Lennon 1965 demo)

Posted by on June 10, 2016 at 5:00 am.

Welcome to the Beatles Rarity of the Week. It’s been sometime now since I last posted a rarity so it is good to get back into sharing something I hope is to your liking this week. As most of you probably already know, John Lennon often composed songs while at home and would record demos there on cassettes before bringing them into the studio to be improved upon with the other Beatles. This practice continued into well after The Beatles said their goodbyes in 1969 and many of these demos became a treasure unearthed after John’s death on such official releases as The John Lennon Anthology or John Lennon Acoustic. Many have also surfaced on bootleg market items such as the Lost Lennon Tapes series. There have also been plenty that have appeared for BROW over the years and this week I’m featuring another.

John Lennon, 1965

John Lennon, 1965

Back in December of 2007, I featured one such acoustic demo of the Lennon-penned “He Said He Said” which, of course, would end with a gender change before being completed for the Revolver album (see that post here). A portion of this late 1965/early 1966 cassette was later erased over by John to get down this somewhat incomplete account of a new song idea called “Hold On (I’m Coming).” This is not a performance of the Sam & Dave single with the same title released later in 1966, but an original by John.

The Beatles/John Lennon - Hold On (I'm Coming)

The BROW this week was inspired by Róbert László.

Here are some Amazon links to purchase the new Paul McCartney compilation or music related to this post:

1) Pure McCartney – 2016 4-CD Paul McCartney compilation (67 tracks).

2) Pure McCartney – 2016 4-LP Paul McCartney compilation (41 tracks).

3) The John Lennon Anthology – 4-CD box set featuring many John Lennon demos and out-takes (1998).

4) Acoustic – CD featuring many John Lennon acoustic demos (2004).

5) Beatles/Beatles-related Music: The Beatles, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr.

Want to make a suggestion for a future Beatles Rarity of the Week? If so, I will do my best to deliver, so let me hear from you. To browse for ideas, check out this search-able listing of 10,946 Beatle-related recordings to choose from. Then let me hear from you here.

• Jen says:

Love hearing the acoustic stuff!!!! :) And, welcome back :)

• Roger Tomlin says:

A GREAT DAY! The Beatles Rarity is back after an extended hiatus. You’ve no idea what having your site inserted back into my daily routine means. Thanks so much for cranking the site back up again. I know it’s a lot of work but very rewarding for your many viewers. Great news for Beatle fans everywhere. As for the 1965 demo, I like it. I can hear the 1965 type lyric that would soon change into the more reflective and introspective songs of the future. History in the eye of the storm. Thanks Happy Nat and welcome back.

• Jack McNulty says:

Always love to listen to the chord changes to see if John used them in some other composition. This one seems utterly pristine and unique. Thanks so much.

• Vinnie says:

Glad to see you back, Nat. Cheers.

• Ohio Dave says:

I was really excited to see a new posting on my RSS feed! Thanks for the new update! BTW: who is Róbert László?

Thanks,
    Dave

• Al Duchaney says:

What a happy day
    that Happy Nat
    has come back!

• Darienzo says:

This is great. Thanks for sharing(and for coming back).
    John didn’t use this melody, but he kept the chords, because they are virtually the same as A Day In The Life. Even the rythm is the same. Fascinating.

• Bern says:

Always like hearing stuff I’d never heard before. Thanks Nat.

• Stevo says:

NAT! So good to see new posts. This seriously made my week. Thank you!

• Dave F says:

Thanks! Welcome back Nat!

• Michael says:

Hi Nat, it is great to have you back. You have been missed. Now if only the rest of the world would go back to being normal. :)

I love hearing demos from this particular era, John sounds great. It is hard to imagine where this would have gone if he had kept working on it. Too late for Rubber Soul, where it may have worked. Perhaps if finger picked and not strummed it would have fit on The White Album.

It seems so unlike John at that time to write something as positive as, “Hold on I’m coming, to bring you happiness.” Lovely.

• Robert says:

Oh my god, I was coming here to listen to the Everyone Wins B-side from 1992 and my eyes wander to the “Recent Posts” section and I see there’s new material! This is great. Here’s a belated Welcome Back from me. Hope to see more posts coming on!

• peter says:

Thanks and very happy to have you back!

• Hans9 says:

Welcome back. Just found the new postings.

• BP says:

it’s always a treat to hear john’s acoustic demos.

beatles rarity is the only beatles website i check out. i appreciate your work in sharing these great stories and tidbits.

thanx again and again!