Paul McCartney’s New – a preview

With Paul McCartney’s New album less than a week away from making it’s appearance around the world, I thought it would be a good time to share an exclusive preview of one of the tracks. On September 15th, (2013) I announced the upcoming release and have been keeping that information as updated as possible in terms of track listing, bonus tracks, etc. There are some differences in the bonus tracks included with the deluxe editions in different countries with the Japanese edition being the only one with all 4 bonus tracks (specifics on this are now included with the earlier post here). One question I received about New concerns whether Paul is playing most (or all) of the instruments on the record this time around or if he is with his band. I confirmed with Brian Ray (one of Paul’s guitarists) last week that this album is “with the band.” Paul has made a few appearances over the last few weeks to include Las Vegas’ iHeart Radio Music Festival on September 21st, 2013 and television shows like Jimmy Kimmel Live and Late Night With Jimmy Fallon. So far he’s performed three of the songs on the album to include the opener “Save Us” as well as “Everybody Out There” and the title song, “New,” which was released ahead of time as a digital single. Since there has already been some opportunity to hear those, I’ve chosen an alternate for you to try out here. (just click below).

Produced by Ethan Johns, this track is called “Early Days.” Remember the album comes out on Oct. 14th worldwide and Oct. 15th in the U.S. (links to order via Amazon are immediately below). Enjoy…

Paul McCartney - Early Days

Cover art for Paul McCartney's New (Deluxe Edition), 2013

Cover art for Paul McCartney’s New (Deluxe Edition), 2013

Extra info: Ethan Johns is one of four producers Paul used on New (further info here).

The title track can be heard here.

Paul McCartney’s band includes Brian Ray (guitar/bass), Rusty Anderson (guitar), Paul ‘Wix’ Wickens (keyboards) and Abe Laboriel, Jr. (drums, percussion).

Order your own copy of New through Amazon here:

1) New [Deluxe Edition] – 14-track CD Deluxe edition

2) New [Vinyl] 12-track standard edition CD and/or vinyl LP.

• Lucio Fernandez says:

Now I’m confused, according to Wikipedia there are 16 tracks, but it doesn’t include “Secret life of a Party Girl” they include “Struggle” instead, and also the japanese universal page lists the song as a bonus track and indicates that the song was produced by Giles Martin (while wikipedia says that the producer was Paul Epworth) http://www.universal-music.co.jp/paul-mccartney/products/ucco-3048/

What’s Going on Here? How Many “NEW” Tracks Exist, 16 or 17?

• Michael Whelan says:

Nat,

Continue to love your site and what you provide, thanks! Were you able to find the answer to Lucio’s question about how may tracks will be released internationally in the NEW album?

Thanks, Michael

• Angie Martindale says:

love what I am hearing on NEW! Such a sweet song about the past. It really moved my heart. Paul seems to be in a great place, so happy and creative! New reflects that:)

• ram on says:

This is such an amazing song!

• Chip says:

I know this is off-topic to this particular song, but my birthday is the day after our beloved John’s and even though my wife is out of town, I came home from work yesterday to see a big box sitting on the kitchen table. And what was inside? The box set of 180-gram vinyl Beatles records with the awesome coffee table book. (Like any of us in this group would leave that book out on a coffee table to get touched by un-clean hands!)

Now all I need is a turntable worthy of putting it’s diamond head on these exquisite grooves.

Happy Birthday to me!

• Stacia says:

So far this album is living up to my desires! Thank you! Love the country-ish flavor.
    However, it’s called iHeart Radio, not IiHeart Music. ;) http://festival.iheart.com/

• Huck says:

I hope everybody loves this album, but I must admit unimpressed. Nearly every track has heavily tweaked elements as well as annoying pre-song noodling. Personally, I find attempts to disguise Paulie’s old and jowly vocals via distortion and other treatments a mistake. I couldn’t find a memorable song in the bunch—fun production values abound—but nary a tune I wanted to hear again (and I’ve listened to the doggone thing over a dozen times in the past few days).

Personally, I believe JPMc has reached the Brian Wilson Stage™ of his recording career: If a release isn’t painfully embarrassing, fans consider it a win.

Again, I hope all you nice people LOVE “New”—but I just couldn’t get it to work for me. :/

• Mairéad Corr says:

Tomorrow! I’M SO EXCITED!!!!!!!!!

The album is terrific except for Hosanna for me. I have only listened once but I have my copy for my car ready. ;-)

Anybody else get, “The Cube” for purchasing a copy of the album?

I wrote my first thoughts on the album as I listened and posted them to Amazon if anyone cares? lol I’ll post them here if anyone wants to read my opinions of the tracks. I think it’s a great album. It’s NOT Band on The Run or Venus and Mars but it’s at least as good as McCartney II or his best since Flaming Pie.

Leo! I love it – and I DO like “Hosanna.” Have you heard the Japan bonus track “Struggle.” Sort of Electric Arguments revisited. I love how varied this album is, I guess partly but not entirely due to the producers. Saw your review, but you omitted one that I really like called “On My Way To Work.”

I forgot a track? lol Oh well I guess I’ll have to write one for it. I know I liked the tune. It was fun. Overall the whole album is fun. And I didn’t know how to jet a Japanese copy of the CD. And good leads? eBay is too much $$ for one track that will just wind up as a BROW someday. lol

Here’s hoping for a EP with more tracks! lol

There’s always Amazon.co.jp. Just prepare to get reemed on international shipping.

Until it shows up somewhere better than an mp3, I found Struggle already and I like it! Hosanna still isn’t good for me. But hey, 1 out of 16 tracks? I’ll take that ratio ANY DAY! lol

Oh and I added my review to Amazon for On My Way To Work. ;-)

“On my way to read to work…” NO, I mean “On my way to read it now.” Now I have one more task for you (only a suggestion though). Get a Gravatar – unless you like those squiggly monster “default” avatars. I figure you are on this site enough as a regular that you need a real one (but again, only a suggestion). The link is here.

Nat, I tried to add one before! Then the thing went crazy and it was combined with some other service and I couldn’t even log in. I can only log here now because my browser remembers it. lol I shall try again sometime, but it HAS got to be easier than it was last time I tried.

Leo, I’ll look into adding an app so it can be done somehow right on this site – could make it easier. No promises, but I’ll look int it. Gotta get with my tech support first.

• George R says:

The fact that this album didn’t make #1 in the UK makes me sad.