Beatles Rarity Of The Week – “Don’t Bother Me” (Capitol of Canada’s defective version)

Posted by on May 27, 2013 at 6:00 am.

Welcome to The Beatles Rarity of the Week. On January 9th, 1975 the last remaining legal links binding the four Beatles together were finally severed when The Beatles and Company partnership was formally dissolved at a private hearing in London High Court. It had been four years since Paul McCartney had requested the partnership to be ended. With this came the end of Apple Corps. – the record label The Beatles had been so enthusiastic about starting up seven years earlier. The last vinyl single released on Apple in the U.S. and U.K. was George Harrison’s single “This Guitar (Can’t Keep From Crying)” released on Dec. 8, 1975 in the U.S. and Feb. 6, 1976 in the U.K and failing to chart in either country. Similarly the final Apple LP was Ringo Starr’s hits compilation Blast From Your Past which also failed to chart in the U.K. but reached number 12 on America’s Billboard album chart in December.

In no time at all Capitol “capitol-ized” on rights to The Beatles in North America and Parlophone did the same in the U.K. By May 1976, Capitol released the “Got To Get You Into My Life” single coupled with “Helter Skelter” as a lead in single to it’s June 11th double LP compilation Rock ‘N’ Roll Music. Parlophone also released Rock ‘N’ Roll Music in the U.K. on the previous day. This was the beginning of a series of theme albums by Capitol and Parlophone strategically spaced out over the next six years that would include Love Songs, Rarities, The Beatles Ballads (U.K. only) and Reel Music. Additionally an LP called The Beatles At The Hollywood Bowl was released in 1977 with material from both 1964 and 1965 concerts from the famous southern California venue.

Canada’s branch of Capitol was also along for this money making Beatles resurgence and began reissuing the stereo versions of Beatles albums from the sixties. One of Canada’s mid-late seventies pressings of Meet The Beatles! contained a flaw that has become somewhat of a collector’s item among Beatles fans. On side 2 of the record in George Harrison’s track “Don’t Bother Me,” near the end of the song and just before the phrase don’t come around, leave me alone there is an extra word “don’t” heard completely out of place. This defective version of the album is on the Capitol of Canada purple labelled discs and possibly other label variations after the Apple label was discontinued. The label had previously only used a mono mix of this song on their mono-only LP Beatlemania! With The Beatles issued in November of 1963.

Meet The Beatles! originally issued in 1964 and re-issued by Capitol of Canada first in 1965 and again in later years. Many of the mid-late 70's Canadian pressing have the flaw discussed here in Don't Bother Me.

Meet The Beatles! originally issued in 1964 and re-issued by Capitol of Canada first in 1965 and again in later years. Many of the mid-late 70′s Canadian pressings have the flaw discussed here in “Don’t Bother Me.”

I know there are a good many people out there who have read about this flaw before but haven’t had a chance to hear what it actually sounds like. So I thought it a grand idea when a site reader by the name of Chris Zähler suggested I put it up as a BROW. I have done just that. So here is the mid-late seventies Canadian defective stereo version of “Don’t Bother Me.”

The Beatles - Don't Bother Me (defective version)

Extra info: After their mid-seventies demise, Apple records made a great comeback in 1994 with the release of the Live At The BBC 2-CD set and subsequent releases to include the Anthologies, Yellow Submarine Songtrack, Let It Be…Naked, One, Love and the 2009 remastered full Beatles catalog.

Thanks for a great suggestion for BROW Chris!

1) With The Beatles 2009 remaster of original 1963 stereo LP, containing original stereo mix of “Don’t Bother Me” (and without the defect discussed above).

2) The Capitol Albums Vol. 1 2004 remastered 4-CD box set containing mono and stereo versions of 4 U.S. Capitol albums by The Beatles released in 1964: Meet The Beatles!, The Beatles Second Album, Something New and Beatles ’65. The Meet The Beatles! disc contains both the U.S. mono and stereo mixes of “Don’t Bother Me” (and without the defect discussed above).

3) Photograph: The Very Best of Ringo – latest (as of this writing) Ringo Starr hits compilation CD. Released in 2007 it contains all of the material from the earlier Blast From Your Past hits LP released in 1975 plus much more.

4) More Amazon links for any of your favorite Beatles-related music: The Beatles, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr.

Want to make a suggestion for a future Beatles Rarity of the Week? If so, I will do my best to deliver, so let me hear from you. To browse for ideas, check out this search-able listing of 10,130 Beatle-related recordings to choose from. Then let me hear from you here.

• carol says:

Wow, I heard the extra ‘don’t’. I’ve never heard of this defect before. Thanks Nat and Chris.

• Adam says:

What a strange defect! I can’t imagine how it ever turned out this way. The extra “don’t” is on beat, so one could get used to it after a while. I kind of like it! Thanks again Happy Nat!

Sounds like George was a bit nervous when recording this and jumped in too quick with the next line. I too have never heard of this and am happy you posted it. How this came to be released is amazing though as they basically used the Capitol US masters for Canada, or at least I thought, and you can hear all the extra or should I say “Dexter-a” echo dripping off of this record.

BTW you do a nice job of creating tracks from LPs. They always sound terrific!

• Roger Foster says:

Hi Happy Nat:
    You might want to correct the following phrase from the top of this article on ‘Don’t Bother Me’:

When you said, ‘…partnership was formerly dissolved,’ I think what you meant to say was, ‘…partnership was formally disolved.’

Thanks for your great weekly email.

Roger

Lol..careful on your spelling of “dissolved” Roger, it’s two s’s – but you are right! I messed up there and will correct it. Formally! – how did I come to type formerly?! I get in too much of a hurry sometimes. Thanks for pointing that out!

• JudeMac says:

I have the original Canadian vinyl with this rare version and a digital version from a collectors record. Interesting version but only good for a listen or two.

Lol… a listen or two? It’s only an anomaly and was never meant to sound that way at all.

• JudeMac says:

Hey Happy Nat
        I was not being funny dude, but its nothing exciting, and it IS good for a listen or two dude if it was a anomaly or not, and people, stick to the regular version of it. Is that better? LOL

No harm done at all JM. Listen as often as you like. No need to “dude” me to death. I only meant that it’s just a dumb mistake made that The Beatles had nothing to do with so it sounded weird (maybe only to to me) to read you saying it’s good for a listen or two.

• JudeMac says:

Happy Nat, all is cool, I have collected everything by them since I was a kid (solo too) & as a collector, not much at all I have not heard. There are lots of tracks which are rare by them that I have heard here or there and that is it. This is just another one of those tracks. To me the mono versions were the ones to listen to & the band were on the same page. I discussed that with Mark Lewisohn and he agreed, anyway, off topic & this is your site. This track in original form is best to listen to, funny, most don’t hear George say “too fast” right before the vocal. Or others have no idea that in “Girl” they repeat “Tit” all through the song, anyway, lots of fiddly stuff on the regular releases on vinyl. Nice chat, maybe I’ll comment again soon & see, no “Dude” used even though I use the term a lot, later and thanks for your time.

Sounds like we have a common interest JM. These little intricacies about the songs are one of the more interesting parts of the lore for me and I’m sure it comes out often in what I choose to write about here. Glad to have you aboard and encourage you look around at some of the other things off the top menu and comment as often as you like.

I think this is a great addition to rare track collections that escaped the ever tightening grip of the brain trust at Apple Records. lol