#askNat – concerning unlisted tracks on Beatles and post-Beatles releases

Happy Nat

Happy Nat

I have to say that I can’t believe that #askNat is already one year old! I have to admit I wasn’t too sure about the idea when I started it up back in May 2012. Despite how many various questions about “all-things-Beatle” I was getting beforehand, I just wasn’t sure if I’d get enough to actually do a regularly scheduled thing and I made up my mind at the start that if not enough questions come in, I’ll just stop. Well since then they have been coming in like crazy! Those of you that have sent one (or more) in know that there is usually a bit of a wait before your question shows up and I feel bad about that, but it can’t be helped. With everything else I have going on, one a week is all I can handle and I have to do ‘em as I get ‘em. So as long as people keep sending them in, I’ll keep cranking them back out. And a big THANK YOU to everyone who has sent them in and patiently waited for my on-site response. It not only gets your question answered for you and everyone who ends up being interested, but it adds a lot to the knowledge base here at TheBeatlesRarity.com which means there is always something to show for it.

Okay, so on with this week’s question. After reading it the somewhat ambiguous nature of the title of the post should become more clear. The question comes from no stranger to the site. Elliott Marx has sent a good deal of interesting questions in to #askNat over the last year. Here is his latest message:

Dear Nat,

As I was drifting to sleep last night, an #askNat topic crossed my mind. Unfortunately, there isn’t much asking, as I am finding it difficult to tease out an actual question. I dig the topic in any case.

The idea is hidden in plain sight. There are several instances of songs on official releases which do not receive track listing. Three and a half examples come readily to mind – John Lennon’s partial phrasing of “Danny Boy” on the original Let It Be, the “Sgt. Pepper Inner Groove,” “Can You Take Me Back” and the original pressings of Abbey Road did not include “Her Majesty” on the track listing. I believe it does now, so “Her Majesty” is no longer hidden in plain sight.

I think that there must be others. An example could include the various quotes in the orchestral arrangement of “All You Need Is Love,” plus Paul McCartney’s cheeky “She Love’s You” quote.

Do others jump to mind? Do you have other information about these fun bits?

Hmmm… Interesting Elliott! I think it was John Lennon singing “She Loves You” at the end of “All You Need Is Love” wasn’t it? Anyway, in thinking about this, I came up with a few “Beatles” examples most of which you have already mentioned and a few after the break up too (mostly by Paul). I certainly don’t claim to have them all listed here as this is only off of the top of my head, so feel free to add more in the comments below. Here’s my list…

The Beatles

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club BandSgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967):

“Inner Groove” – unlisted untitled track that appeared in the vinyl inner groove of side 2 of the album. The track is actually only a couple of seconds of gibberish designed to repeat as the needle is held in place by the edge of the label when played on manual turntables unequipped with an automatic tone arm return. The sound effect is also preceded by a dog whistle undetectable by human ears but a possible cause of amusement for any canine listeners that happen to be enjoying the album with you. The CD of the album makes the couple of seconds repeat in a loop to simulate how it was on manual turntables back in the day.

2. Magical Mystery TourMagical Mystery Tour (US LP version, 1967):

“She Loves You” sung during the last of the fade-out of “All You Need Is Love” but naturally not listed as a separate track. An unlisted rendition of “Greensleeves” is also heard as part of the orchestration during the fade-out.

3. The BeatlesThe Beatles (White Album) (1968):

“Can You Take Me Back” – unlisted linking track between “Cry Baby Cry” and “Revolution 9″ on side 4. Hear the unedited version of the track, actually recorded during the sessions for “I Will” here.

4. Abbey RoadAbbey Road (1969):

“You Never Give Me Your Money” – an unlisted reprise of “You Never Give Me Your Money” occurs in the middle of the track “Carry That Weight” in the Abbey Road side 2 medley.

“Her Majesty” – early issues of Abbey Road did not include the very short final track “Her Majesty” in the track listening. Since the last listed track was “The End” the idea was that most would assume it really was “the end” of the record, hence “Her Majesty” was to be a surprise track.

5. Let It BeLet It Be (1970):

“Ooh! My Soul” – John Lennon sings the title of this Little Richard song at the conclusion of “I’ve Got A Feeling.” Unlisted with tracks.

“Danny Boy” – John Lennon sings a line of this at the conclusion of “One After 909.” Unlisted with tracks.

Paul McCartney

1. McCartneyMcCartney (1970):

“Suicide” – A short excerpt of Paul’s composition “Suicide” appears at the end of “Hot As Sun/Glasses” on Paul’s debut solo LP. The complete recording appears as a bonus track on the 2011 (Archive Collection) remaster of the McCartney album on CD.

2. RamRam (1971):

“Big Barn Bed” – at the conclusion of “Ram On (version 2)” there is a about 16 seconds or so of an interesting arrangement of “Big Barn Bed” which was given to us in complete form but with a very different feel, later on the 1973 Red Rose Speedway album.

3. Wild LifeWild Life (1971):

“Bip Bop Link” – In between “I Am Your Singer” and “Tomorrow” there is a 52-second acoustic instrumental version of “Bip Bop” heard earlier in the record. When released to CD the track was listed but the original albums did not list the track.

“Mumbo Link” – At the conclusion of the album there is a 44-second instrumental “jam” version of the album opener “Mumbo.” Like the previous mention, when released to CD the track was listed but the original albums did not list the track.

4. Band On The RunBand On The Run (1973):

“Jet/Mrs. Vandebilt” – Orchestrated arrangements of parts of “Jet” and “Mrs. Vandebilt” (heard earlier in the album) are revisited within the track “Picasso’s Last Words” but not listed.

“Band On The Run (reprise)” – An unlisted reprise of the title track occurs at the end of the album that is segued from “Nineteen Hundred Eighty Five.”

5. Back To The EggBack To The Egg (1979):

We’re Open Tonight” – The track “So Glad To See You Here” concludes with a reprise of “We’re Open Tonight” heard earlier in the album and unlisted as a separate track.

6. Off The GroundOff The Ground (1993):

“Cosmically Conscious” – a shortened version of this track appears within the closer track “C’mon People” on the Off The Ground CD. The CD lists it by saying “and remember to be…Cosmically Conscious” but since it’s not banded as a separate track it is not listed as if it were a title. The complete version of “Cosmically Conscious” appears as a b-side to the “Off The Ground” commercial CD single.

George Harrison

1. BrainwashedBrainwashed (2002):

The title track to Brainwashed ends the album and includes an unlisted concluding prayer known as the “Namah Parvati,” a mantra dedicated to the Hindu goddess Parvati. It is chanted by George and his son Dhani Harrison in unison.

Like I said, there are probably others so feel free to chime in an add them to the comments section below. Thanks again Elliott for a strange but interesting topic and, of course, to everyone for reading.

Here are some links to Amazon to read more or purchase some of the music related to this post:

ANY of your favorite Beatles-related music: The Beatles, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr.

• ODIrony says:

RE All You Need is Love:

I always heard John’s voice singing “Yesterday” followed by Paul exclaiming “Oh!” then jumping in with “She Loved You Yeah, Yeah, Yeah”.

As an aside, I also always thought “Can You Take Me Back”, though obviously written by Paul, functioned as the opening to “Revolution 9″.

“Can You Take Me Back” was actually a little piece made up during the recording of “I Will” and was just placed on the album as a linking track between “Cry Baby Cry” and “Revolution 9″ (see here).

• Jerry says:

Funny you mention “Cosmically Conscious” being a snippet at the end of Off The Ground, because the full released version of “Cosmically Conscious” released on the CD single itself contains a snippet of “Down To The River” at its conclusion. Another song I can think of is Ringo’s remake of “Back of Boogaloo” on Stop and Smell the Roses, which is actually a pastiche of various songs (ala Harry Nilsson’s “You Can’t Do That” — Harry helped with Ringo’s track BTW), most notably is “Lady Madonna” present. Ringo also has a couple bars of “Let ‘Em In” near the end of “English Garden”. Which, incidently has a hidden track immediately following — “I Really Love Her.”

Those are some examples I thought of off top of my head. I’ll write back if I can think of more.

• Jerry says:

I guess one could argue George’s performance of “The Pirate Song,” as it starts off with the intro of “My Sweet Lord,” but that was obviously the tease George wanted.

• Jerry says:

Another hidden track would be the instrumental “I’ve Only Got Two Hands” which appears at the end of Chaos and Creation in the Backyard by Paul.

• Jerry says:

This one might be a stretch, but at the end of “Mind Games,” during the fade out John reverts back to the lyrics of “Make Love Not War” which is the composition “Mind Games” originally evolved from dating back to Beatles era Let It Be sessions.

Great Jerry! Keep ‘em coming!

• Jerry says:

“A Dose of Rock & Roll” from Ringo’s Rotogravure has Ringo singing a couple lines of “Hey Baby!” which incidently is the next track of the album.

• Jerry says:

Is “Foxy Lady” credited on the live Good Evening NYC release? If not, it would be the jam immediately after Paul and the band finishes “Let Me Roll It.”

• Jerry says:

Same is true with Live in Red Square DVD. Ditto any other Paul recent live releases/recordings of “Let Me Roll It.”

Does it count to say that Revolution 9 contains that much longer version of take 20 of Revolution?

No rules here really. I sort of thought of it the other way around myself (Revolution 9 was within Revolution Take 20), but that’s just how I thought of it.

Well, if you are going to do a thorough job answering the questions, then expect a few fringe entries from bootleg, or whatever you call a rogue internet release of a rare track, from time to time. LOL

I’d say your loyal “listeners” have covered this topic rather well. ;-) (No help from me).

Also, it will be no fair to mention ANYTHING from the LOVE soundtrack. lol

• Pat says:

You forgot the Glenn Miller song heard at the end of “All You Need Is Love.” It’s either “In the Mood” or “String of Pearls.” I think they were sued for unauthorized use, weren’t they?

Pat…good thing I didn’t “forget” to say that it’s not a complete list and invite people to add to it. Did you mean “Greensleeves?”

• Pat says:

I think “Greensleeves” was public domain. I meant the Glenn Miller arrangement of “In the Mood.”

• Pat says:

What about “Crying”, from George’s 1968 soundtrack album “Wonderwall Music.” It’s heard at the end of “Save the World” on “Somewhere in England.”

• Huck says:

For those interested in such things, the who sang “she loves you” at the end of “All You Need is Love” debate gets settled once and for all here: http://wgo.signal11.org.uk/html/extras/aynil.htm

If you want to hear the iso vocals for yourself, jump to the bottom of the page.

~Huck

• Mike Ray says:

What about “Kansas City” on the Beatles For Sale/Beatles 65″ albums? That version went into “Hey Hey Hey Hey” but was uncredited for many years! Not the same type of thing but what if one mentioned the “Fool On The Hill” flutes on “Glass Onion”?

• Mike Ray says:

AND… regarding “All You Need Is Love”, the song starts with the introduction of the French national anthem, La Marseillaise, and also featured bits of Bach’s Brandenburg concerto in the fade out. Snatches of Greensleeves, Glenn Miller’s arrangement of ‘In The Mood’ were also used, and even The Beatles’ own She Loves You and Yesterday could be heard at the end of the fade out.

• Pescador says:

…speaking of the introduction La Marseillaise I would like to add that at the concert celebrating Queen Elisabeth’s diamond jubilee in 2002 Paul (or rather the orchestra) opened the song with only the first two notes of the French national anthem before switching to “God Save the Queen”

• Duane says:

Apologies if this was previously mentioned (at work but I love the weekly Naticism, so I had to briefly look– hehe). How’z about John’s “Power To The People” referencing ‘Revolution’ “Say you want a revolution” – “better get it on right away”.

p.s. Happy Anniversary!! Absolute joy your site is!

-Duane-

Duane, if that counts (and it should) then I want to be first to post about How Do You Sleep? John hid direct references to Paul’s songs and life in that one. lol

“The only thing you done was, Yesterday
      But since you’ve gone you’re just, Another Day”

I’m thinking some people here are confusing a mention or reference of one song within another when Elliott (who asked the question) and I were actually talking about performances (i.e the singing or playing) of one song within other or as a separate track that is not listed in the track listing. There are countless instances of mentioning or referring to one song in the lyrics of another. Anyway, regardless, it is still more info and the more the merrier.

Nat,

I didn’t start that part of the thread. lol But if you are going to call foul on me, then we need to delete the mention of Yesterday from All You Need Is Love since that was hardly singing the song, Yesterday. And we can take away songs NOT sung like all those mentioned in All You Need Is Love that were instrumentals only – ie Greensleeves/La Marseilles, right?

I mean, we certainly could just mention there were several references to songs in Savoy Truffle and Glass Onion, but those were just mere references, so I didn’t mention those. But John did sing, albeit sarcastically, Yesterday and Another Day.

And most importantly, I did mention in my post that it wasn’t the same as singing an uncredited song in another song. …”if that counts…then I want to be first to post about How Do You Sleep?” ;-)

But you are right as it is more information than was initially asked for. But I figured, this would be the place for it AND it might eliminate the follow up question for next week’s Ask Nat. LOL Now I shall leave All Those Years Ago and When We Was Fab for someone else.

See my comment to YKMN below Duane…

• carol says:

I’m glad you posted this. I never noticed ‘Yesterday’ at the end of ‘All You Need Is Love’ before. I’m gonna go listen to it!

• Pescador says:

Do copyright infringements count? Then we should add “Come Together” which resembles Chuck Berry’s “You Can’t Catch Me” and, of course, “My Sweet Lord” which is a blueprint of “He’s So Fine”, both infringements being validated at court. And, having Nat’s encouragement “the more the merrier” in mind, I would like to mention the line “Something In The Way She Moves” which was borrowed from James Taylor.

While “Something In The Way She Moves” was a borrowed line, George isn’t actually performing the song there. I only meant actual performances of part or all of a song somewhere within another.

• KeyMeestro says:

This is an example of the opposite and I can’t seem to remember where I saw it (it may have been a track listing or in a printed book of sheet music) but I’ve seen at least once “Hello Goodbye” followed by “Heba, Heba Hello”.

Now, I just need to remember where I saw it…

Which reminds me of Paul tacking that “Hello Goodbye” coda on the end of his performances of “Put It There” in the 1989/90 world tour.

• Pescador says:

I have one more suggestion which is “Let ‘em In” by Wings which starts with the famous Big Ben melody also known as the “Westminster Chimes”.