Beatles Rarity Of The Week – “It’s Love” (lost Ringo Starr track)

Posted by on April 22, 2013 at 6:00 am.

Welcome to The Beatles Rarity Of The Week. The rarity featured this week might be something you own if you happened to buy a copy of the New York Daily News back on February 3rd or 10th, 2008. EMI and the metro-New York based newspaper struck up a deal allowing readers the opportunity to download three free songs of their choice from a selection of over 120,000 tracks. Each copy of the paper issued on Super Bowl Sunday (Feb. 3rd) or Grammy Sunday (Feb. 10th) came with an insert that gave a website and a unique printed access code allowing readers to search and download the music.

One of the songs offered was Ringo Starr’s “It’s Love,” a good little mid-tempo tune with a nice reference to The Beatles’ “All You Need Is Love” in the chorus. Although this song was recorded way back in 2002 during the mixing of Ringo’s Ringo Rama album, it was considered later as a contender for his Liverpool 8 album, released in January 2008. In the end it was held back in case any future promotional exclusives were needed such as this download offer I’m referring to.

Ringo Starr

Ringo Starr

The EMI/NY Daily News promotional download offer was gone after only a few weeks and since then there is no longer any means of obtaining this track in the U.S. It is available in the U.K., and possibly other markets outside of America but only via selected music download outlets and no physical media. This is really the same situation I wrote about back in February with Paul McCartney’s acoustic version of “Dance Tonight” (see that post here). You can argue that it’s just an extra, but this happens all the time. Is it really fair for the U.S. to be so discriminated against when it comes to the availability of music?

Ah well… Thankfully, regardless of where you happen to be, you can still listen to this track on The Beatles Rarity. Take it away Ringo…

Ringo Starr - It's Love

Extra info:
I was unable to find an official source for composition credit on this track but it is most likely written by Ringo with Mark Hudson and possibly other members of The Roundheads such as Steve Dudas and/or Gary Burr and/or Dean Grakal as were most numbers recorded during the Ringo Rama sessions.

1) Liverpool 8 – Jan. 2008 CD release by Ringo Starr.

2) Ringo Rama – 2003 CD release by Ringo Starr (does not include “It’s Love”)

3) More Amazon links for any of your favorite Beatles-related music: The Beatles, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr.

Want to make a suggestion for a future Beatles Rarity of the Week? If so, I will do my best to deliver, so let me hear from you. To browse for ideas, check out this search-able listing of 10,130 Beatle-related recordings to choose from. Then let me hear from you here.

• Andy says:

Oh, the “brick-wall” mastering that is so commonplace these days! Gotta love it.

Andy – I agree that brick-wall limmiting is horrible. I just mixed and mastered my own project and was pleased with the brick-wall at the end. I went back to it a week later and was so horrified I redid the entire ep. It is not nearly as loud now, but the tracks breath and the dynamics have returned. It would however sound tiny on radio – which is not a problem my little pet-project would face.

I have been thinking about this Ringo track since I heard it yesterday. It is new to me. Pleasant, but not essential. I thought for a few moments that I like the idea of Ringo. I like the man, I like the history and sense of humor and humility. But I am not sure what he has to say as an artist at times – especially on tracks like this where, if he is playing drums, it is not particularly stylistic.

His last few albums have been better than the over produced Mark Hudson works from a couple years ago – though those albums have highlights for sure. The newer ones have very autobiographical themes, which further that Ringo-ness that I adore. Even if he did not write the lyrics, pieces like Harry’s Song and Liverpool 8 are well interpreted and presented.

A generic song like this, to me is not really best served by Ringo – nor does it best serve Ringo. I’d rather a quirky Drumming is my Madness Pt.2.

Peace and Love!

Then again, critique all you like, but let us remember that “good” or “bad” doesn’t come into play here. Just is it Beatles-related? And is it rare? After all, “good” and “bad” is in the eye of the beholder anyway. To hear only the good-sounding Beatles-related tracks go over to http://www.onlythegoodsoundingbeatlestracks.com. Actually no, I just made that up. Anyway to Ringo’s credit, he decided to leave it off of the album (twice) as I point out in the post. This may also have had something to do with his falling out with Mark Hudson too though. I would just hate for that Ringo enthusiast to want to be able to hear it all but not be able to get to this one because he lives in America, so here it is, with Ringo’s own trademark message of peace & love.

You are quite right Happy Nat. I always feel privileged to hear any Beatles rarity. My impressions of good or bad have no comprehension of the true purpose or standing of a song. When I personally don’t like music, I always figure that I simply don’t get it.

Every single song ever played is as good as any other. Which is why I am vexed and perplexed when I read Youtube comments which state that music was once better than it is now. This is usually followed by the viewer going on to name several young artists, as though they were the epitome of trash. ALL music is absolutely, 100% perfect. Always. This includes Two Virgins, Revolution 9 and My World 2.0. Some of it, for one reason or another, I simply just don’t get. This flaw rests with me, not the artist.

The Beatles refused to perform How Do You Do It? and that changed the entire music business world. This gesture is nearly as important as some of the other things that they, more famously, did later. The Beatles put an end to focusing on the performance and redirected all of us to the songwriting. Sayonara Brill Building.

Which songs Ringo chooses to release, this was one of them, is important. This is especially true when you are one of the four men who broke the Brill Building model.

I suppose I should have been more supportive in my comments. Let me rephrase my statement so that it more accurately represents my intention – I am glad that Ringo has moved past the big Mark Hudson productions like this and toward more autobiographical material like Harry’s Song (truly my favorite Beatles related anything of the 21st century.)

thebeatlesrarity.com is a very, very special place which I visit at least once a day. I listen to the podcasts and even read the lengthy articles about releases I could never afford and wouldn’t want even if I could. Happy Nat has created/curated such a great place that I get lost sometimes. Lost in the majesty of the Beatles, sure. But more frequently lost in my own mind; weighing what this stuff means to me. How it has formed me. Constantly evaluating where it has led me. In the end, so it goes, I built a life where every brand new Ringo Starr song poses to be a possible epiphany, a new way of looking at the world. Then two and a half minutes later I look up, and if nothing has changed, I am disappointed. I am richer sure, but disappointed. Like winning $2 from a lottery ticket – “Thanks and all, but I was hoping for the jackpot.”

I know this is not the forum for Elliott Marx to contemplate the meaning of (his) life – but my shrink just wouldn’t understand.

Thanks Elliott for you outlook on music, The Beatles and thebeatlesrarity.com. I’d say it’s a healthy, positive, accurate and even inspiring assessment despite what your shrink would think. I wish more people felt that way about music.

• Norman Stanley says:

Love the track it’s great should be released on CD In Australia

• carol says:

Haven’t heard this song before! Thanks so much Happy Nat!

• PhoffiFozz says:

Take this for what it’s worth, as I don’t have the exact original source documented, but when this was new, I found a copyright registry that credited this song to Ringo Starr, Mark Hudson & Dean Grakal. – I wish I could confirm that one way or another.

Thanks for the great website.

• Clay says:

For once, a Beatles Rarity track I’d actually come across before! I’d only given it a listen once before though, so I’m glad you posted it. Like most Ringo tracks, it’s not the greatest number out there, but it’s happy and has a decent message, so there’s nothing wrong with that. Glad to give it another listen.

• Clay says:

Actually, I feel I should be clear. I am definitely a fan of a lot of Ringo’s tunes! In fact, I like “It Don’t Come Easy” more than most of anything John did post Beatles (that’s mostly a taste thing, though, I suppose; many disagree with me on that). Still, some of Ringo’s material is a little unambitious, but at the end of the day, it’s hard not to be charmed by his amicable voice and generally positive lyrics.

• Angie Martindale says:

I have run into that a lot, when UK iTunes has music that is unavailable in the US. Thanks for sharing:)