Beatles Rarity Of The Week – “With A Little Help From My Friends” (Paul & Ringo reunite for DLF)

Posted by on April 8, 2013 at 6:00 am.

Welcome back for another Beatles Rarity of the Week. In July 2005, American filmmaker David Lynch founded the David Lynch Foundation (DLF), a non-profit organization established to fund the implementation of scientifically proven stress-reducing modalities for at-risk populations (schools, military, women, American Indians, homeless shelters, prisons, etc.). To understand more about why this is considered a very worthwhile cause, I encourage you to check out the short video clip at www.davidlynchfoundation.org.

Before the year of 2005 was over, DLF got behind providing a TM (Transcendental Meditation) program to schools for students in grades 4 through 12. Concerning this, David told ABC News in an interview:

Kids come to school and they meditate together for 15 minutes in the morning. And before they go home they meditate for 15 minutes. A lot of them come from, you know, bad situations, and so this gives them this thing at the beginning and the end of the day. The rest of the time you just watch the violence stop.

In 1968, The Beatles saw the value of TM when they went on a sojourn to Rishikesh, India to learn more about it from the Maharishi Mahesh Yogi. Realizing the benefit of meditation as a stress-relieving and beneficial therapy for troubled children was therefore not such a jump for the two surviving Beatles and certainly reason enough for both of them to get behind a benefit concert for DLF with the mission of funding a program that pledged to teach one million at-risk children to meditate and change the world from within.

Paul McCartney (L) and Ringo Starr (R) at the Change Begins Within Concert, April 4, 2009

The event took place at New York City’s Radio City Music Hall on April 4th, 2009 and was dubbed the Change Begins Within Concert. On April 29th, 2012 many PBS stations across the U.S. premiered television coverage from this event, but an official video release of the show has not appeared. Performers included comedian Jerry Seinfeld, Sheryl Crowe, Eddie Vedder, Moby, Ben Harper and Donovan. The headlining acts were Paul McCartney and Ringo Starr. The two former Beatles reunited for the final three songs in Paul’s set. This was their first concert appearance together in a very long time. Listen now as Paul brings out Ringo (introduced as “Billy Shears”) to sing the first of these three closers.

Paul McCartney & Ringo Starr - With A Little Help From My Friends

Extra info:
After the performance heard above, the final closers which made up the encore, were Paul’s 1993-released “Cosmically Conscious” which was a very appropriate choice, as Paul explains, because it’s about TM and was actually inspired by the Maharishi. Paul wrote the song in 1968 while in India. The other performing artists were present onstage for this and for the final encore performance which was the old Beatles classic “I Saw Her Standing There.”

1) Sgt. Pepper’s Lonely Hearts Club Band – 2009 CD remaster of original 1967 stereo LP featuring original Beatles version of “With A Little Help From My Friends.”

2) Off the Ground – original 1993 Paul McCartney CD featuring edited reprise of “Cosmically Conscious” (complete version from Off The Ground CD single is out of print)

3) More Amazon links for any of your favorite Beatles-related music: The Beatles, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr.

Want to make a suggestion for a future Beatles Rarity of the Week? If so, I will do my best to deliver, so let me hear from you. To browse for ideas, check out this search-able listing of 10,130 Beatle-related recordings to choose from. Then let me hear from you here.

• carol says:

Great to hear Paul and Ringo together!

• Anna says:

I was there! What an exciting and memorable night to see & hear the two play together again.

• All of the Beatles were always so forward thinking. They used their fame in positive ways….exploring and sharing….from meditation, love, vegan, acceptance, and John got into primal therapy before it was even used commonly….I get tender seeing Paul and Ringo singing together….Godspeed to them both.

I am amazed that this was your post for the week, since I was looking for any reason to celebrate a special anniversary. It was April 16, 1993 – soon to be 20 years ago, when I had a two Beatle experience.

Paul played the Hollywood Bowl for a charity concert billed Earth Day 1993 – Concerts for the Environment. It was a lovely afternoon/ evening; though the Bowl is never, ever loud enough. There was a great roster of artists that preceded Paul: Don Henley, Steve Miller Band, 10,000 Maniacs, k.d.lang and others. It was an impressive show. I had tickets to see Paul later in the week in Anaheim, so he could do no wrong by me. Ms. Lang joined Paul on Hope of Deliverance, but that wasn’t all.

At the end of the show, Ringo unexpectedly came out to sing the “na na na nas” of Hey Jude. I started bawling and, absolutely involuntarily, began heading toward the stage, zombie-like. I was completely outside of myself. I went forward until I could go no further. I had not ever expected seeing two Beatles on stage. I was filled with waves of pure love. This was unlike anything I had felt before or have felt since. This powerful emotional swell had nothing to do with music or celebrity. I think spiritually enlightened is the most accurate phrase that I know to describe that fleeting state of being.

The two Beatle rule is very real.

—–

Hearing this week’s post made me search out the attendant video. I was shocked that it was actually Paul playing his famous bass line. I wonder how quickly that came back to him. Knowing that Paul relearned his part made this version even more special for me.

Thanks for giving me a forum to share one of my most valuable memories.

Thanks so much for sharing that. You make me envy the memory alone. BTW… I hope you are happier this time around with the upcoming WOA remaster set than you have stated for past Paul McCartney Archive Collection endeavors. Read the latest…

• Stacia says:

That was a great story Elliott!

• Mickey says:

I just ran a Google search for videos from this concert and found only one with Paul singing ‘Hope of Deliverance’ with K.D. Lang and it was excellent and great to see again after all these years. I have a little story to share from my experience of being at the show that night. That I haven’t shared before. Hope you find it entertaining as I do!

My buddy called me the day of the concert (Earth Day 1993). He said, Do you want to go to the Paul McCartney concert tonight? I said YES!

I was 20 years old, a huge McCartney fan, this was going to be AWESOME. I was stoked!

We arrive at the Hollywood Bowl a few hours later. It was the evening but still light out. We parked down the street and walked up the hill to the main entrance. They were still selling tickets at the box office. We got in line to buy a couple tickets and waited. There was a huge screen broadcasting the live concert to my left and I was watching Don Henley perform. You could hear the music crystal clear as the stage was just a short distance from where we stood. But we wanted to get in. The people in front of me purchased tickets, I moved forward and as I prepared to say “Two tickets, please” the person in the booth placed a sign in front of my eyes saying “McCartney – SOLD OUT.” No! I was bummed.

My friend said, not to worry….scalpers. Oh, okay I thought. We walked back down the hill to the street below and there was a guy with a fist full of tickets. He must have had at least 30 tickets fanned out in his greedy little hand. My friend and I had about $80 cash on us, that’s it. We asked him how much for two tickets. He said $250 each. We said we only have $80, do you have anything. He didn’t reply. He just turned his back on us and went the other direction. I was super bummed at this point.

SO at this point my friend wanted to throw in the towel. I said, let’s go back up the hill to the box office and look around. Maybe someone is selling tickets up there. He wasn’t really feeling it. But I convinced him to go back with me. After all, we planned this, drove all the way out to Hollywood and we were so close.

Now we were back at the box office and my friend disappeared to my right looking for potential scalpers, while my plan was really to hang out and watch the concert on that big screen. I figured, at least I will see and hear it live, even if I cannot get in. I was just standing there watching Henley when this guy a few years older than me said “Hey, do you want to see McCartney?” I said, For sure! He said, “I just want some money for beer.” I said, You can get me in? He said, Yeah. I told him, let me grab my friend. If you can get us in, we will give you our cash!

My friend turned the corner towards me with a bummed expression on his face and threw his hands up in the air as to say, no dice. I said, dude, I found a guy who said he can get us in! My friend was surprised. Alright how do we get in?!

The guy who approached me said, “Follow me.”He moved quickly and walked between a large pillar and these huge bushes. My friend and I looked at each other as if to say, what are we about to do here? Well, we followed him.

Now the three of us were between a huge wall and hidden by those large Hollywood Bowl bushes. Straight in front of us were around 20 concert staff members who would take the tickets from the oncoming concert goers as they would enter through the turnstiles. We were slightly crouched down. If any of them looked left they could possibly see us and it would be a bust.

The guy leading us in, said wait…. wait….wait…….. then he just straightened up and began walking forward to the left and in front of all those people entering behind with their tickets and the turnstiles. I looked at my friend and said, F*CK IT, let’s go! We followed this guy like the stupid lemmings we were.

Within about 10-20 seconds we hit an escalator and he said, “You’re in! You’re gonna see McCartney!” I said, “Isn’t someone going to check us for tickets? How are we going to get to seats?” He said let me show you something. He lifted his black T-shirt and under it was a yellow Concert Staff shirt. I could not believe this! He said follow me, and he took us to about the middle section of the Hollywood Bowl dead center stage. It was now dark. We thanked him and gave him some cash. He took off. Within about a minute or two they announced Paul McCartney and the amazing concert started. I saw the entire show from great seats. My head almost exploded when Paul announced Ringo Starr and Ringo joined Paul and all the other acts that night and they sang Hey Jude. We all sang ‘Na, na na, na na na na, na na na na, hey jude…” over and over again with the people on stage and it was very cool.