#askNat – concerning valuable copies of “Meet The Beatles!”

Happy Thursday and welcome to another round of #askNat. The reason this little feature is called “#askNat” is because my name is Nat and this is where I take on a Beatles-related question from one of you guys out there who have an interest in The Beatles, have a question that you want an answer too and happen to have stumbled upon this little corner of the Internet. This week, I’m shooting out a response to David Elliott from Chico, California, who has this to say…

Hey Nat…I have been a Beatlemaniac since 1975 or so (since I was 10) and THINK I know just about everything Beatles, but I am puzzled on this:

My wife and I were just watching an episode of this show called Baggage Battles and a couple found a “rare” copy of Meet The Beatles! estimated at a value of $2500!  Now, I have 3 copies of this album, including a 1964 copy in mono that my uncle purchased new in January of that year.  I know this is a VERY common record and the copy shown in that episode was stereo and the inner sleeve was plain white with the label cutout. Any idea why THIS copy would be so rare?

Well David, I did not happen to see the program but I can tell you what pressing of the LP would have a ballpark price right around that amount. Since Capitol Records were in such a rush to release Meet The Beatles!, they did not wait around to receive performance rights information prior to ordering up the initial batch of labels to be used on the records. Consequently, the first labels were printed without BMI or ASCAP designations following each track. This run of labels can be easily identified by looking at the time printed after each song. As an example “(2:11)” appears after the track “This Boy” on the first labels. On all subsequent labels “This Boy is followed by “(ASCAP – 2:11).” All of the album’s tracks on the subsequent labels will have an ASCAP or BMI credit within the parenthesis and preceding the time, but these first labels only had the times within the parenthesis by themselves. Because only a small number of these first-run labels were printed, records without the BMI or ASCAP designations are quite scarce and worth significantly more than the records with labels printed afterwards.

East-Coast side 1 label (no serifs) of mono Meet The Beatles! - first pressing with no ASCAP or BMI designation

East-Coast side 1 label (no serifs) of mono Meet The Beatles! – first pressing with no ASCAP or BMI designation

West-Coast side 1 label (note serifs) of mono Meet The Beatles! - second pressing with ASCAP and BMI designations

West-Coast side 1 label (note serifs) of mono Meet The Beatles! – second pressing with ASCAP and BMI designations

As of this writing the only confirmed Meet The Beatles! pressings with the earlier labels are East-Coast pressings which are identified by the lack of serifs on the “1″ indicating side 1 of the record. Jacksonville, IL and West Coast pressings have serifs on the side 1 designator (see photos above).

Since less stereo pressings of Meet The Beatles! were manufactured than mono pressings, the stereo first-run labels version of the record is worth more than it’s mono counterpart. Specifically, it is valued at around $2200 in near mint condition. This album like other sixties copies of Meet The Beatles! came with a blue inner sleeve promoting other Capitol albums (the plain white sleeve David mentions in his question is not original). The labels are black with a circular color band and have no text stating “Subsidiary of Capitol Industries” as later pressings have. The mono version of this record has similar labels, identical inner sleeves and is worth around $1500 in near mint condition.

So if you have it, go take a look at your own copy of Meet The Beatles! and see if you have one of these highly collectible pressings. Thanks David, for a great question about a great album, whichever pressing you have! Have something to add? Comment here.

Meet The Beatles, 1964 stereo pressing

Meet The Beatles, 1964 stereo pressing

Here are some links to Amazon to read more or purchase some of the music related to this post:

1) The Capitol Albums Vol. 1 2004 remastered 4-CD box set containing mono and stereo versions of The Beatles 1964 Capitol albums: Meet The Beatles!, The Beatles Second Album, Something New and Beatles ’65.

2) Any of your favorite Beatles-related music: The Beatles, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, George Harrison and Ringo Starr.

• Tony Maxwell says:

I have a question similar to David’s, although I don’t have my own ‘potentially valuable’ copy to need any type of estimate on it’s value.

However, SOME fortunate people were able to obtain the ‘recalled’ Love Me Do 50th Anniversary single, and some comment from a person on this very site was rudely boasting about how HE got his copy of this instant collector’s item, while I was left out in the cold and shunned by my peers.

I realize it’s difficult to control or moderate everyone’s replies, Nat, but it seems that- hmmm -oh, wait a minute, I KNEW that name sounded familiar; it was YOU, Nat! You were the rudely boasting guy I was writing about, what a coincidence!

…okay okay, I made it up, Nat was not being rude or boasting, I’m just being petulant and bitter. As John once said, “I’m Just a Jealous Guy.”

But he also said “It’ll never bring you happiness, son!”

I’ll get more serious over in the BROW thread

If it’s any consolation Tony, it took me three tries to get one of those. :) I actually hold my 2 50 year old copies more precious, but we’ll see if this one starts appreciating more. It’s amazing what I’ve seen for prices now on Ebay.

• Tony Maxwell says:

Hey Nat,

Hope you appreciated my attempt at humour; I’m really not that upset about missing out, just disappointed at the apparent lack of proper respect and carelessness by a record company that probably owes it’s continued existence to revenue of the very musical act it was most recently exploiting for profit again. When I bought my 12-inch anniversary single thirty years ago I never considered it becoming worth much more than what I paid for it, and always considered any Beatles merchandise produced after they broke up as not being an “authentic” collectible, even though I personally treasure a lot of my post-breakup memorabilia.

Anyway, I was inspired to go to ‘the vault’ and retrieve my own ‘Meet The Beatles’ albums. I have five copies total, 2 stereo and both in beautiful condition, and one near-mint ‘mono’ record, cover and inner sleeve same condition, the other two in terribly poor condition (in other words, played an awful lot by some real Beatles fans).

None of them are missing the ASCAP/BMI designations, but they’re nice to have all the same. I’ve been wanting to spend some time checking out the ‘Collectors Corner’ when I retrieved the rest of my LP’s – another project to look forward to!

I received a confirmation earlier today that corrected “Love Me Do” 50th anniversary discs are out by Oct. 22. I ‘spect you’ll be glad to hear that. I plan to get a corrected version too. I hope you find the Collector’s Corner an informative and useful resource. Have a good night!

• Tony Maxwell says:

Nat, your news is (soon-to-be-delivered) music to my ears! Thank you for that update, and for your consideration of all the fans who enjoy this site so much.

Good weekend to everyone!

• Steve says:

Hi Nat, love the site!. I have been trying to ascertain whether the Love Me Do withdrawn single I have is a counterfeit (if so, it’s the fastest turnaround for a counterfeiter in history!) – I was instantly suspicious when I looked at the matrix numbers which are all hand etched. All EMI releases thus far have machine stamped matrices – I got the Magical Mystery Tour DVD box set the other day, and this has the replica EP which has machine stamped matrix numbers. What does your copy have? There just seems to be too many copies of this single for sale at the moment on ebay.

• Steve says:

Hi Nat, thank you for confirming. I got a copy of the corrected single the other day and that too is hand etched so they are definitely all genuine, so that’s a relief!
      Interestingly, EMI have changed the design of the labels slightly in the new corrected issue – they have silver ink on them (for the lettering) like the original 60s pressings, rather than the grey ink letters on the withdrawn copies. The incorrect number for side B is still wrong though!

• Steve says:

by the way, the release date of the revised Love Me Do was actually today (22nd October) but I got my new copy last Friday as I had pre-ordered it a couple of weeks ago.

Thanks Steve. I need to place my orders where you do. You get things nice and fast. I would have thought they’d have fixed the b-side catalog number though. No QC anywhere anymore it seems!

• Steve says:

Yes, very strange – I thought the quality of the Magical Mystery Tour replica EP set that comes with the deluxe DVD/ Bluray box is terrible. Looks really cheap. Most of the vinyl I get new these days is slightly warped or has defects. The last Smashing Pumpkins LP reissue release had inner sleeves that don’t fit inside the cover as the card is too thick! There are some real halfwit designers at EMI it seems!
          I just go for random ebay sellers. I was really surprised to get the record before it’s release date – I think that’s technically illegal (on the part of the seller). Not that I’m complaining!! :)

• Tom Brecht says:

I have a near mint copy 4th edition east coast version of meet the Beatles album. I have a Capitol sleeve full of their other albums. It is brownish in color and I can assure you that it is original. I bought it at the navy exchange in 1967. Can you tell me more about this album.

• Frank Cassidy says:

Hi Nat. I just bought an original vinyl copy of “Meet the Beatles” at Half Price Books for about $7.99. It is in near-mint condition. Also, it is a mono copy, and a second pressing (with BMI and ASCAP labeling in the center of the record). However, it still has a mint blue inner sleeve, I cannot find “subsidiary of Capitol” anywhere on the sleeve. Is there a certain place I shoul check. Also, could you give me a ballpark estimate of what it might be worth. Thanks so much!

• Sandra Terrebonne says:

I have a 1964 Capitol Records “Meet the Beatles” that is sealed and has never been opened. How do I tell if I have an East-Coast or West-Coast pressing and what the value might be -thanks!