Beatles Rarity Of The Week – “You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)” (original length)

Posted by on February 1, 2010 at 7:00 am.

Welcome to this week’s BROW (now available as a podcast). “You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)” is a comical 5-part experiment John Lennon and Paul McCartney put together that resembles the craziness heard on their Christmas flexi-disc messages to their fan club. It had actually been recorded over a few years, mainly in May and June of 1967 and April of 1969, but not revealed to the public until it appeared as the b-side of The Beatles “Let It Be” single in March of 1970. As The Beatles were finished recording together by this time, it was almost released as a single by John Lennon’s Plastic Ono Band, but that idea was aborted after John instead came up with a replacement called “Instant Karma! (We All Shine On)”. It never appeared on an album/CD until the Past Masters CD collection surfaced in 1988.

When initially released, there was a few edits applied to shorten it. The first and fourth sections were shortened and the second part containing the ‘ska beat’ was completely omitted. The third section (which I call “Slaggers” after John’s line welcome to Slaggers!) was left complete, and the fifth section, which happens to include Brian Jones from the Rolling Stones on sax, also remained intact.

The Beatles Anthology 2 CD set gives us another mix of the song, revealing what was left off of the first 2 parts, however a full half-minute of the fourth part, that appeared on the original single, was edited out and the ending was also cut short.

What you are listening to here is a forgery. I have combined these two mixes for the sake of getting a complete account of this song. Since the original mix is only available in mono and the Anthology mix is only available as a stereo remix, it was first necessary to create a mono mix by averaging the channels in the Anthology stereo mix and then editing in the omitted pieces from the original mix. Through this reconstruction, we hear how it sounded before it was edited a full two minutes shorter for the “Let It Be” single. A trained ear may be able to spot where I made my edits but I think I got it fairly close. Sometimes for history to have an accurate completeness, it needs to be pieced back together. Ask any archaeologist. Enjoy…

The Beatles - You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)
My personal copy of the Let It Be/You Know My Name picture sleeve

My personal copy of the Let It Be/You Know My Name picture sleeve

An aside: The sleeve pictured above accurately displays the song title as You Know My Name (Look Up The Number) however, on the actual record label it is printed as You Know My Name (Look Up My Number)

Want to make a suggestion for a future Beatles Rarity of the Week? Then let me hear from you. Read about more Beatles rarities and suggest one for me to post. You can begin by searching for different versions of specific tracks right here.

Want to make a suggestion for a future Beatles Rarity of the Week? If so, I will do my best to deliver, so let me hear from you. To browse for ideas, check out this search-able listing of 9,967 Beatle-related recordings to choose from. Then let me hear from you here.

Thank you for the effort. I never knew what I was missing. Ever since Anthology I have felt they deserved a little more credit for embracing the ska element so early. I have also always wondered that if Brian Jones played saxophone as reasonably well as he seems to then why not with the Stones?

• beatleowl says:

It wasnt Brian Jones of the Rolling stones who played on this track. It was Brian Jones, the sax player from the liverpool group the Undertakers. A well known face in Merseybeat & a friend of the Beatles. Thats why he playing the sax so well.

Hi beatleowl! Welcome! I need to tell you though that on June 8, 1967 Brian Jones of The Rolling Stones showed up with his alto sax (at Paul’s invitation) to lay down his sax bit. He was known to dabble in numerous instruments at the time. This is detailed in full in The Beatles Anthology book (by The Beatles) as well as That Magic Feeling – The Beatles Recorded Legacy (John C. Winn), The Beatles – The Ultimate Recording Guide (Allen J. Weiner), The Beatles On Apple Records (Bruce Spizer), The Beatles Recording Sessions (Mark Lewisohn), All Together Now (Harry Casleman/Walter J. Podrazik) and even Wikipedia.

• Paul McCartney was asked directly about this by Mark Lewisohn in the introductory interview for The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions. He confirmed it was “unequivocally” Brian Jones of the Stones.

Thanks Joe. To check another resource, I looked at The Beatles Encyclopedia by Bill Harry to see if there was “another Brian Jones” that was a friend of The Beatles, but the only Brian Jones listed was the RS Brian. I guess that clinches it.

• beatleowl says:

Hi Nat, fair enough!!! ive read all those books.
            Do you nor know who Brian Jones (of the undertakers) is, by the way??? it seems you are not familar with him or the story.

• beatleowl says:

no just checked hes not listed in Bill harrys encloypedia but surprisinglt neither are the undertakers or even Jackie Lomax but he is listed in Bill harrys Book of Beatle people listed under the Undertakers. Its also mentioned as a rumour on wikipedia under the undertakers.
            but fair deal Nat ive read all the books you quote from.

• beatleowl says:

Nat… check out this list.

I belive you by the way but just to help you identify the Brian Jones im talking about, check it out. (the whole site is interesting by the way)

Beatleowl…I am “somewhat” familiar with the Undertakers (I’ve heard a couple tunes and the main one sticking in my head is What About Us). Also I have mention them on this site once right here. I am more familiar with Jackie’s solo stuff. Is This What You Want is a great album, that should have sold much better than it did. There is so much myth surrounding The Beatles though, and the (alternate) Brian Jones thing is just one of the more plausible ones, I think. I’m glad (and flattered) that you like the site, and I hope you stick around. I’m certainly not above making mistakes, so if you see anything screwy, be sure to do what you did here and let me know.

• beatleowl says:

Nat… the site is fantastic. ive been a beatle fan for many years and as long as ive been on the internet ive been searching for a site like yours. Thers is a lot of rubbish & boring sites out there and i was hooked for nearly a full day yesterday looking through yours. I went to bed & couldnt gey to sleep thinking what i could ask for rarity of the week, Ive not come up with anything yet but i will stick around.
            We have a very similar collection by the way and im thinking what i havent got or heard that i would like to.
            RE… Brian jones. yeah i like beatle myths, it keeps it interesting. Ive met Brian jones of the undertakers at the conventions in Liverpool a few times, he maintains he played on the track. (i suppose he would do, so would i) so havening not met the other one i have no reason to dis-believe him. Hes a nice guy.

thanks Nat, i will stick around.

lol….hope you were able to get some sleep.

Yeah….hats off to Brian. May he be resting in peace whatever the circumstances of his tragedy may have been.

• inrumford says:

Thank you sir for another fine effort!

• skylantern says:

Great job! Thanks for recreating the definitive version.

Ha! The “all-in-one-place” version anyway, which is how it must have been before pieces started getting cut out of it.

• Chip says:

I saw this on FB today. I don’t know how I missed it originally. Thanks for the splice.

• Can you believe Torres left Anfield???

• Mike White says:

You could have done better using the ultra rare Stereo 45 RPM record of this song! (It DOES EXHIST!)

What is that George Harrison song?

It’s easier to criticize somebody else than to see yourself
      It’s easier to give a sigh and be like all the rest
      Who stand around and crucify you while you do your best

Love that tune.

• Mike White says:

Happy nat;
    I’m not criticizing your efforts, just informing you of an easier way IF you can get hold of the Stereo 4 minute version!
    But this site is “The Beatles Rariety” or so it says at the top of this page right? Then perhaps someone in this group can answer this question: What’s unique about Ringo’s voice in the Stereo version of this song? If you have the Stereo 45 RPM record, this will be a piece of cake. If not, you will only be guessing.

Thank you Mike. Just so you know, the whole point of this article is to share a version of this song at it’s original length. The 4 minute version is not a rarity – a true stereo account would be, but that would be the subject of another BROW.

• Mike White says:

Happy Nat;
    Ok, I stand corrected as to what “BROW” I should be on! I’m a vintage “Baby Boomer” and not a “Computer Geek” so I DON’T know where I’m at most of the time!
    I DO have an EBAY listing of a Gold Record of this song by The Plastic Ono Band that anyone can go to and drop their comments on!
    And I DID have a STEREO copy of this song on a 45 RPM record which is an EXTREME RARITY!!! (It DOES EXHIST! Believe it or not!!)
    Also, I’ve been trying to get hold of Capitol and find out WHY the Stereo version of “The Beatles You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)” has never been re-issued on CD or MP3 etc., be it the 4 or 6 minute version! So far, no responce.
    Mike

• Mike White says:

Happy Nat;
    Will do, and thanks for being so considerate.
    This may take some time, as Capitol seems to be a bit tougher nut to crack than Vee Jay, or even Polydor.
    Mike

• Mike White says:

Happy Nat:
    My encounter with Capitol Records came off with mixed results! I was hoping to find someone who had been with the company since the day, but there may no longer be such a person.
    Regardless, I was told to WRITE a letter to them (that’s right, snail mail) and get back when the letter had a chance to make it’s rounds. When I did return the call I got a person that knew more than the first person did, and knew about my letter. They DO HAVE the 45 RPM Stereo master of “You Know My Name (Look Up The Number)” by The Beatles in their archives!! It WAS a legitimate Capitol Records release! Not a Bootleg! When I asked how come no re-issue has been seen (or heard) I got silence! And when I asked how come Wickapedia indicates the thing to be non-exhistant, there responce was: “THAT IS STRANGE”!
    Mike

That is very strange, Mike. It’s not in any of numerous Beatles discographies that I’ve seen either. I’ll consider myself right (at least in terms of what’s been officially released) at this point.

• Mike White says:

Happy Nat:
        You may believe it or not I suppose. But by “Rattling their cage” with this now, I may have brought their attention to something long forgotten. It (may) actually happen now that this ultra rare version will see a re-issue soon (I’m hoping). If it does, it may emerge as it was on the 45 RPM record, or as a brand new 6+ minute version which would be the “cat’s pajamas” version that everyone’s been asking for! If it comes out the same as it was on the 45 RPM record, the “ORIGINAL VERSION” could be re-assembled in STEREO with possibly only ONE splice!! (The Stereo 45 version HAS the ending you’ve been looking for!)
        As to the Discographies and even Wikipedia, I NOW wonder WHERE they get their information. They DIDN’T get it from Capitol Records!!
        Once again, I wish to thank you for being considerate and patient with me on this. I’m still trying to find out why “Apples 1002″ was the intended release number for The Plastic Ono Band’s version. So, I’m still searching.
        Mike

• Mike White says:

Happy Nat:
    I found “Apples 1001″ which was “Cold Turkey” as it was released in England. “Apples 1003″ was “Instant Karma” (also English release). After that, The Beatles split up and used the “Apple” logo for individual efforts, since the group was gone and no longer needed a separate label. With that bit of info comming in, I’m now trying to sell the Gold Record.
    Thank you for your responces in this quest. You may never know how valuble they were.
    Mike